Miles & Stockbridge’s national Coverage Disputes & Litigation practice represents business policyholders in disputes over denials of insurance coverage under all types of commonly issued policies, such as CGL, D&O, E&O, workers’ compensation, and all forms of first-party property policies, in federal and state court, and at the trial and appellate levels.
What We Do
We counsel and represent clients in difficult coverage disputes, such as those involving:
- Environmental liability and toxic torts
- Business interruption
- Construction defects
- Real estate liability
- Directors’ and officers’ liability
- Errors and omissions claims
- Claims arising from broker malpractice or negligence
Experience in Critical Areas
- Underlying Claims: Coverage disputes are often triggered by mass tort and class action litigation and pose risk of substantial losses for insurance carriers. Our significant experience handling these types of underlying claims gives considerable weight to our recommendations on defense strategy. We adeptly handle reconciling clients’ defense goals with the often inconsistent settlement strategies offered by insurers.
- Insurers: Although focused on policyholders, our lawyers have significant experience working with insurance companies. We understand how insurance companies work and the strategies they pursue, and use that knowledge to secure results for our clients.
- Venues: We are familiar with those judicial forums that have become predictable in their allocation of liability and loss, and assist clients in the selection of a favorable venue. Because most coverage disputes settle before reaching trial, strategic venue selection is useful in negotiating settlement terms most favorable to our clients.
Risk and Liability Reduction
The lawyers in Miles & Stockbridge’s Insurance Acquisition, Assessment & Asset Management and Risk Prevention & Management practices counsel a wide range of clients on practices and policies aimed at preemptively reducing risk and liability. Utilizing our technical knowledge of insurance company coverage and claims management procedures and our practical, hands-on experience, we help clients avoid problems and reduce claims exposure.