While the primary emphasis of Miles & Stockbridge is helping employers comply with ERISA and related benefits laws, we also actively assist in the defense of plans, trustees, plan administrators, insurers, and others in negotiations, disputes, and litigation involving benefit issues.
In administrative, trial, and appellate proceedings, our benefits lawyers work with Miles & Stockbridge litigation and labor and employment colleagues to:
In addition, our attorneys litigate claims involving benefits not covered by ERISA, but governed by other laws and regulations.
- Defend against ERISA Title I prohibited transaction and fiduciary breach claims against parties in interest and plan fiduciaries for alleged improper plan management or misuse of plan assets;
- Defend plans and employers against individual- and class-based claims for pension, severance, healthcare, disability, and other insured or self-insured benefits;
- Defend against claims arising from plan termination or from bankruptcy of plan sponsors;
- Prosecute claims on behalf of a plan against financial intermediaries in disputes on coverage or administration or against others for recovery of unauthorized, mispaid, or otherwise incorrectly disbursed benefit payments;
- Defend against withdrawal liability, demands for contributions, and other claims involving multiemployer plans and benefits subject to collective bargaining agreements;
- Defend against claims for interference with benefit entitlement in termination and other settings or for discrimination in plan design or operation;
- Defend against assessments of tax, penalties, and other liabilities by regulatory agencies, including the Internal Revenue Service, the Department of Labor, and the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation; and
- Defend employers against claims involving executive compensation programs and executive employment agreements.