Miles & Stockbridge's tax lawyers help businesses, individuals and exempt organizations plan and achieve their financial objectives while maximizing their tax advantages. We advise on all aspects of local, state, federal and international taxation in a comprehensive practice that encompasses the following major areas.
Business Tax Issues
We help clients evaluate which business entity (S corporation, C corporation, limited liability company, limited liability partnership, or some other vehicle) is the best way for them to meet their growth and financing needs while maximizing tax advantages, then help them create the appropriate management and organizational structure. Then, as part of their ongoing operations we advise them on:
- The tax implications of pension and welfare benefit plans, qualified and non-qualified plans and employee stock ownership plans
- International operations tax issues involving overseas operations, royalties, dividends and interest, asset repatriation, foreign tax credits and trans-border asset purchase and sales
- Deal structures that offer the best tax advantages when buying and selling a business
- Advice on issues ranging from the entity structure providing the best tax treatment of a real estate purchase, tax-free exchanges and state and local tax issues including property tax assessments and appeals.
Individual Tax Issues
We help high-income individuals and owners of family businesses minimize their tax burden by every legitimate means while achieving their personal and business objectives. Our services include:
- Creation of limited liability companies, family limited partnerships and buy-sell agreements to accomplish asset transfers for tax management, succession planning and estate planning
- Estate tax, gift tax and income tax planning for closely held businesses and individuals
- Crafting charitable giving strategies that meet a wide range of needs for estate and tax planning
- Personal financial planning involving the tax implications of stock options and other equity-based compensation.
Exempt Organization Tax Issues
We provide tax advice to many significant tax-exempt organizations in our Mid-Atlantic practice region, including public and private foundations, charitable organizations, hospitals, educational institutions and governmental agencies, assisting them with such issues as:
- Securing and maintaining tax-exempt status under the Internal Revenue Code
- Advising on the tax treatment of unrelated business income and of the divestiture or merger of such operations
- Creating 501(c)(3) organizations as public charities
- Providing public finance services to governments and nonprofits that minimize taxes, maximize collateral value and reduce lender risk, while achieving the public purposes of tax-exempt financing.
For more information on Tax, contact Jeffrey A. Markowitz via email or via telephone at 410.385.3523.