1667 K St., NW
Washington, DC 20006
Direct Number: 202.465.8370
Main Number: 202.737.9600
Direct Fax: 703.842.6455
Fax Number: 410.385.3700
Milton B. Whitfield
Milton Whitfield is a Principal in the firm’s corporate and securities department. Milton represents companies in complex technology transactions, particularly outsourcing, and energy regulatory matters.
Outsourcing: Milton works closely with C-Suite and senior executives in advising, structuring, negotiating and documenting all aspects of domestic and international outsourcing transactions. Milton has led both information technology and business process outsourcing transactions in various industries including, for example, consumer services, energy, financial, health care, manufacturing, telecommunications, transportation and waste management.
Selected Client Representations:
- Led strategic sourcing of several IT and business process transactions for a manufacturing company that involved negotiations and coordination among several different service providers.
- Led a multi-million dollar, full-scope outsourcing transaction for a utility under substantial pressure from public service commission.
- Led an offshore outsourcing transaction for credit card company despite political sensitivities.
- Led a restructuring/expansion of applications maintenance and development transaction for health care company when customer/vendor relations had deteriorated.
- Led multi-million dollar sourcing for telecommunications service provider.
Energy Regulatory: Milton served as a Special Assistant to Admiral H.G. Rickover, Director, Division of Naval Reactors in the Department of Energy. He led, in conjunction with private industry, the development, implementation and operation of a $100 million steam generator chemical cleaning program for the Nuclear Navy. Milton advises companies on various energy regulatory matters, as well as licensing and trade issues in connection with foreign transactions.
Selected Client Representations:
- Represented Special Committee to Board of Trustees in a due diligence investigation for a utility being sued by shareholders and fined/shut down by the NRC.
- Advised energy companies on compliance and liability issues for operating nuclear power plants.
- Advised energy companies on forming an operating company and seeking an application to transfer operating licenses for nuclear plants.
- Advised a manufacturing company on licensing and trade issues in connection with selling components for a nuclear plant to a foreign entity.
- Co-led a large wind development project for a foreign utility. Advised a financial company on the investment of decommissioning trust funds for nuclear plants.
Prior to joining Miles & Stockbridge, Milton was a partner at Haynes and Boone LLP in Washington, D.C.
- District of Columbia
George Washington University, M.B.A. 1984, Beta Gamma Sigma.
Georgetown University, J.D. 1979.
University of Virginia, B.S. (Applied Mathematics) 1974, Summa Cum Laude.
University of Virginia, B.S., Chemical Engineering 1974, Summa Cum Laude.
American Bar Association: Sections on Business, Energy, Science and Technology
Captain, United States Naval Reserve (Retired)
District of Columbia and Virginia Bar Associations: Sections on Business, Energy and Environmental, Computer and Telecommunications
International Association of Outsourcing Professionals
Past President/Board Member of American Red Cross, Kiwanis, and McLean Citizens Assoc.
Winner District of Columbia and Virginia Bar Pro Bono Awards
"Use of Big Data by Manufacturing and Distribution Companies," Miles & Stockbridge Manufacturing & Distribution Blog (September 2013).
"Balance Risks in the Cloud," Inside Supply Management (Author) (March 2013).
"Outsourcing by Energy Equipment Manufacturers," Natural Gas & Electricity©, Wiley Periodicals, Inc., a Wiley company (October 2012).
"Employment Law Concerns in an Outsourcing Transaction," Miles & Stockbridge News Brief (Co-Author) (May 2012).
"The Arrival of Cloud Sourcing: Implications from a Legal Practitioner," Global Information Technology Management Proceedings (May 20, 2011).
"Are Small Reactors the Next US Nuclear Renaissance," Natural Gas & Electricity Journal (October 2011).
"Energy Supply Management Can Be Successfully Outsourced," Natural Gas & Electricity Journal (June 2010).
"Outsourcing in a Troubled Market," Executive Counsel (November/December 2009).
"Critical Issues in Offshore Outsourcing," Executive Counsel (July/August 2008).
"Hidden Costs Impact Value in Outsourcing" and "Restructuring Outsourcing Agreements," Natural Gas & Electricity Journal (March/April 2008).
"Structuring a Successful Outsourcing Contract," Natural Gas & Electricity Journal (December 2006).
"Practical Guidance for Successful Outsourcing," Franchise Update Magazine (Summer 2006).
"Moving to the Cloud? What You Should Know About Business, Compliance and Legal Risks," Webinar, Washington, DC (November 2012).
"Cloud Trends 2011: What You Need to Know," Webinar, Dallas, Texas (September 2011).
"Data Privacy - 2011 Legislation Updates in US and High Profile Breaches," Marsh Insurance Conference, London, England (May 2011).
"Outsourcing the Small Modular Reactor Factory and Delivery Infrastructure," Infocast Conference, Washington, DC (March 2011).
We advised a tire manufacturer on strategy and contract drafting regarding outsourcing of IT to a major vendor.